2010-04-06

T Dot what up??

This isn't about Drizzy Drake either. I'd just like to give a big up to one of my all time favorite cities, Toronto. A big, multicultural, CLEAN city in the heart of Ontario, Canada. I want to visit you soon! And shouts to Kyle "Trojan" Murphy of  Toronto S.H.A.R.P. He's a stand up individual, hard and smart. Just today he offered crash space and I believe I should take him up on that offer sometime this summer, see some different shows, roam the city and meet good people. So, That Rude Boy This Just In must salute Toronto and bring up four artists that received heavy airtime from me. I might dig into this more a little further down the road, but for now, here's these 4 exceptional Toronto acts that had major affect on me. Of course, not anywhere near the same genre. T Dot stand up!


First, we can get Kardinal Offishall out of the way... This track, "Bakardi Slang" solidified the raggamuffin hip hop point. Before he came along there were West Indian infuenced emcees like Jamalski and Mad Lion(K.R.S 1? Poor Righteous Teachers? Nine?? You know it.)but to me, this song was the biggest in the direction of crossover effectiveness.


Here's one from Marcus Visionary, Toronto's leading ragga jungle/Drum N Bass DJ. He kind of brought reggae heavy riddims back when Drum N Bass had been getting very technical sounding to me. And I was estatic to discover that he is on the Digital Soundboy(gotta love that name!)imprint that brought out another DJ I like; Benny Page and just so happens to be run by boss selector Shy FX! If you love reggae then you should'nt have a problem sinking into this ragga mellowness.




And this is the choice band Bedouin Soundclash. Very sweet sound combining soulful vocals, reggae and indie rock. They should be getting as much buzz as Vampire Weekend did considering their afro pop actually has an African in the group but hey, same as it ever was. Bedouin Soundclash has grit and I like them.




And last but not least, mayhem comes in the viscousity and texture of the experimental hardcore band Fucked Up. Very tough. Very punk rock. This is a clip of them covering Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown" but go check their originals out. Nuff said.





That's it, that's all. Toronto is cool. I'm done.

2 comments:

TorontoSHARP said...

Bedouin Soundclash are friends of mine. Cool people, and fun to drink with.

Here are some more Toronto/GTA artists you might like.

Shad K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIoOWA7sH8s

K-os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9SN96v1Mec

LMT Connection (the singer was a member of the Funk Brothers, from Motown)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRxHy0o90M

The Arsenals (a live free outdoor show, they are actually better than this, but it was the only clip I could find)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR7E7qqU0uQ

This Just In.... said...

respect bruva, checking em out today. B. Soundclash are your friends? Right on, wonderful band.